Monday, January 26, 2015

Introducing Caleb Landyn Reed {Caleb's birth story}

It was 4:16 am on a Wednesday morning and I was already used to not getting much sleep. I was at 36 weeks already and I knew it was only a matter of time. I guess you could call it Mothers intuition. I was taking weekly injections to help me get to at least 37 weeks and I was set to get my last shot that next day. I felt a little trickle and then another one. So I went to the bathroom. I wasn't really sure if it was my water breaking yet. I was nervous because I was only 36 weeks after all. Riley had come closer to 37-38 weeks. So I wasn't sure what this was going to mean. Especially being high risk, and especially having a loss before. So I lay in bed and I tried to wait it out. After all we had no one to help with Riley. The Grandmas weren't set to arrive til Christmas. Which was another week away. Nothing else happened after I got back in bed. So I went back to sleep. 6:00am came and Evan and Riley were getting up now and getting ready for the day. I felt another trickle and I knew then for sure it was it. I got up and went to tell Evan who was in the shower. While I was already calling the doctors office. Then the rest of my water broke for sure as I stood in the bathroom. {Thankfully I was prepared and the bags were already packed} I knew this kid was going to come early! I knew I had some time so I got a quick shower put on comfy clothes. Grabbed the bags and headed to the hospital. Once I got all checked in there was still time to get Riley to school. Evan headed out and dropped her off. I didn't have contractions right away. I got some pitocin and away we went. They kept upping the dosage and getting me all ready. As the pain started getting worse and more uncomfortable. I asked about an epidural. I had one before and it was a lot better for me during labor. I wanted to wait as long as I could so it wouldn't wear off. That's when they told me that it was set up as a pump. So it wouldn't last the whole time. I looked at Evan and said "Then what are we waiting for!" They called the guy in and we got to work. It was nice this time they allowed Evan to stay in the room with me while I got it. I got it was already at 5 cm which was the perfect time. Because 20-30 min later I was at 9cm and I didn't feel a thing! In fact I didn't even know I was having contractions at all. I was just sitting there eating a popsicle and trying to file my nails before he came. Which I then had to hurry up because he was ready to go! I felt absolutely no pain. It was a lot of work pushing though! I thought for sure he would come out faster than he did. But no...I kept pushing and pushing! He finally came at 4:26pm! 6lb and 2.1 oz 18.5 inches long of absolute perfection. We both cried a bit and were so relieved. Once you lose a child you hold your breath every time after that. When we heard his sweet little cries we were overjoyed. They let us have him immediately. Didn't even take the time to do his bath or anything first just let us have our bonding time, which was great! From start to finish was 12 hours! I am so thankful it all worked out fine. Riley was even able to go to a friends house after school which I was stressing about too. Evan went and got Riley so she could meet her little brother. It's amazing how much bigger your older child now looks to you once you have a new baby. She walked in with the biggest smile on her face while I was holding him. It was such a sweet moment for them and for me. That morning before the craziness I had given her a "big sister" bag that I had put together. {I literally finished all of that the day before}. I filled it with fun little activities so she had things to do in the hospital, a big sister shirt and book. I wanted her to feel special and that she is still our baby girl. Even though we have a new part of our family. 

Once we got moved to postpartum we had lots of time to just enjoy our little family. Since we now had two kids to think about. We had to start splitting apart. Evan took Riley home so she could still go to school and I stayed with Caleb obviously. It was kinda sad because I wanted him to stay overnight with me but it's our new reality.

We got released on Saturday after 3 nights in the hospital. Caleb had a little jaundice, and he also had a small dent in his head they weren't sure what to make of it. 
The term craniosynostosis was thrown around or a fracture that might require surgery to correct or even a helmet. We had to get an x-ray and everything and they referred us to a neurologist in Boston. So we had a horrifying 5 weeks to worry and endure. But thankfully all it was was a ping pong fracture. So he got the all clear from the doctor which was another relief. We are feeling really blessed with our little family. Thankful that God has given us these precious babies.



I'd love to hear from you!

Blogger Template Created by pipdig